Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Golf Fever

As the end of the golf season approaches, I thought I would share my thoughts on the game and my new found love for it. I started playing earlier this summer with some friends and have played on average of once a week since. It's quite disgusting how quickly I went from thinking golf was a boring game, to thinking it is absolutely great. I will admit, it's still not the most exciting game to watch, but while playing it's perfect.

Using an old set of clubs belonging to my father I hit up the driving range and course with not much knowledge of the game. Sure, aim for the hole and just tap it in. Well... easier said then done. Let's just say I couldn't hit the ball if my life depended on it. Heck, I'm still horribly inconsistent. Nonetheless I attempted to pick up some tips here and there from friends, and was hooked. A few weeks later I found myself purchasing a new set of clubs. Nothing fancy of course, but next thing I knew I had a new glove, pair of golf spikes, and any other accessory you could think of.

Some people thought my interest in golf would only last for a few weeks and eventually die out like many others have in the past. Well, when I began golfing at 8:30, 8:00, and eventually 7:00am during the weekend instead of sleeping in, I knew it was more. Now as November approaches I'm still playing. I purchased my first pair of golf pants the other week, along with a pull-over and am quite prepared for the change in weather. In fact, I've already had to wait in the clubhouse on two separate occasions while frost covered the ground. I continue to think I'm crazy for this, but it is well worth it.

The truth is that on the golf course I think about nothing else in life. I have no worries (except my putting), and it is a great way to relax. What's better then spending four hours without a care in the world, hanging out with friends, and getting some fresh air?

Is this corny? Most definitely. Is it true? Yes. It's great to be out on the links and not think about work, responsibilities, or anything else that may be bugging you.

Here's to golf!

No comments:

Post a Comment