Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

If I See One More Political Ad...

Seriously folks, can anybody say they are not annoyed with the onslaught of political ads running 24/7 on television. I get it folks, I graduated with a degree in marketing. These politicians are trying to get their name out there, and get as many negatives thoughts about their opponents into our heads as they can. But after about 20 minutes it gets old. By now, anyone old enough to vote should realize most of these ads are exaggerated and skewed one way or the other. The trick to good marketing is getting your audience to trust you and believe your message. When the entire country no longer trusts government, they will not believe your quick 30 second messages that are played 50 times a day.

In addition to being extremely annoying, these ads become extremely expensive. Let's see if this makes sense... politicians and wannabe politicians spends millions of dollars on advertising that nobody wants to listen to, nobody believes, and in a country where a majority of those eligible to vote, don't. During a time when there are so many issues in this country, there are no great politicians - they all stink! Okay, some may be better then others (Bush, I'm looking at you).

Here's a suggestion. Don't allow candidates to run TV commercials until maybe the final week or two prior to the election. Instead, only have a handful of debates in the months prior to the election. This will cut down spending, keep everything organized and slightly more legitimate. If anything, we will avoid having those not educated on the subject voting based on one horrible statement about a candidate. This will keep most of the candidates on an even playing ground and give voters a chance to vote for the candidate they truly believe will do the best job.

While we're at it, can we get rid of the half a dozen recorded messages left on my answering machine when I come home from work? All I have to hear is "Hi, this is ______" and I delete the message.

So politicians, and anyone with the dream of one day sitting in office, please listen to me. Stop wasting money, stop wasting my time, and get off my television!

1 comment:

  1. Good points, the adds are so annoying and repetitive that to me, they are almost doing more harm than good. I would respect a candidate a lot more if they said what they were going to do, rather than mudsling.

    ReplyDelete