Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Time puts the NO in Technology

I was browsing through a piece on Boston.com that discussed obsolete technology of that past. Luckily I'm in my early 20s and remember using a handful of these now ancient items. Things such as the Walkman, Analog TV, Floppy disk, and the VCR are all items that I used for a large portion of my young life. I realize I've been getting older as I recently joined the "Real World" after college, but technology is changing so quickly I feel like I can't even keep up anymore.

Recap: A walkman played one tape - sometimes two sides, with a handful of songs on it. In the year 2010 we have this thing called an iPod, that can hold thousands and thousands of songs without being much bigger (if not smaller) then the good ole walkman.

Recap: A VCR was used to play and record movies or shows. At this point I don't even need a separate device to record my favorite show. In fact, I can use a portable dvd player, or an ipod to watch a show or movie anywhere I want (and yes, even DVD is becoming outdated).

I won't get into the other items, but it stuns me to think about how technology evolves over the years. My parents remember when they got their first black and white TV. Me? I've had my own TV in my room for as long as I can remember. I've had multiple computers, cell phones, music players all becoming more advanced then the last. It's truly insane how much technology has taken over our lives, and how before we blink the newest and hottest version of some device is hitting your local Wal-Mart shelves.

Just think where we will be in 5,10,20 years... Google is working on a car that drives itself! I'll leave you with a note and one of my favorite videos.

We live in a very fast and unusual time. Things change around us so quickly that we don't have time to take in the beauty of it. Although technology is beneficial in many ways, remember what life is really about. Enjoy the company of those around you and the simplicity of nature. These are the things that change slowly overtime, yet the things we seem to forget first.

Video: Did You Know? Technology

No comments:

Post a Comment