Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Challenges of Blogging

So I've taken a bit of a break from updating this blog, and as much as I'd like to say it was because I was away on vacation, it wasn't. It was purely me being lazy and not coming across a topic I really felt like writing about. Every time I have mentioned my dilemma to people they respond by suggesting a topic or two for me to discuss. And although I appreciate the ideas, it's not always that easy.

Some people manage a blog on a full-time basis and are therefore forced to create content daily. Others maintain blogs that are focused on a certain topic and that tends to give them guidelines to write within. And maybe that is what makes keeping a blog such as Unsophisticated Banter difficult. I created this blog with the intentions to write about any and all topics I came across that I was passionate about, or at least that interested me enough.

The problem here is trying to come up with enough thoughts and/or analysis on a subject that you can write a well thought out post. You would think it's easy to write what comes to our mind, but in fact maintaining a blog is more then that.

Even as I write this I find that I am forcing myself to keep typing.

This is going to end up being a shorter post then I normally do, but I encourage all you fellow bloggers out there to share your blogging experience.

Where do you get your ideas?

How to you develop your thoughts for the blog?

Any tips for me or others with hopes of starting a blog?

3 comments:

  1. You may want to check this out - http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/6-ways-to-constantly-produce-quality-blog-content/

    I got it via a twitter feed I follow, I think it's got some good tips! - good luck buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These silly blogs are a commitment... the good news is that if you are not putting yourself out there to be following the hottest news, you can pick and choose what floats your boat.

    I find that I too frequently think everything need be a dissertation, while a quick thought might prove useful as well.

    Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dave!

    Bob - Agreed. I know no one expects me to write a post everyday, and therefore I'm not pressured to do so. That being said, taking a month long break makes it difficult to get back into it.

    If I can post on a fairly regular basis, it keeps me going. Maybe I need to set a once-a-week type goal, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete