Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Love of My Life Evades Me

I wanted the title of this post to be serious, but don't think this is some lovey-dovey romance story. I think many people share my feelings on this subject, and as I sit in my bed early on this Saturday morning I decided to share my thoughts.

The love of my life, is sleeping, and unfortunately as I have entered this thing we call the "real world" it evades me. In college, especially my last semester or two, I had an amazing class schedule. Many times I was able to sleep in until 11am or noon, and that doesn't include after a rough night of partying. In fact, more than half my college career was without classes on Friday (How is that preparing us for the real world?!). So there I was, having a 3 day weekend, with very little responsibility. My biggest concerns on a Saturday were: What am I going to eat? What sport games are on TV? and When to start pregaming for that nights activities? That was the life of a college student. Not only was I able to sleep in, but my body physically allowed me to do so.

Now we fast-forward to the present day, at a time when I'm up early 5 days a week to begin the work day. And unlike school, you can't get away with being half asleep in your seat. It was a rough transition even though I had been used to it the last few summers.

The work week isn't really what I'm upset about as I've come to a realization that waking up early Monday-Friday will be my routine for the next 40 years. What I have an issue with is how this routine effects my weekend plans. I'd love to sleep in and sometimes mimic a day in the life of a college student, but that just doesn't happen. My body has become used to the idea of waking up early and sleeping in on the weekend is now 9am. That's just way too early.

For all you youngsters, it is better to accept what I am saying then try denying it. Even if you have nothing to do on the weekend, you will end up waking early.

Like taxes and death that are inevitable, so is the death of sleeping in.


I guess after writing this post I can say I've been productive today...

5 comments:

  1. This is so depressing! While I agree with the mundane, "Groundhog Day"-esque feel of life these days, life isn't about the 40 hour work week! It's about time outside of the office! That is what is most important in my mind. If you wake up at 9, don't dwell on the fact that in 48 hours you will once again wake up at 6 AM; Embrace the long weekend hours that await you, and feel fortunate that you are not working on Saturdays. Now back to work for me, on this Saturday morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find something you love (other than sleep) and let it be your motivation. (Golf?)

    And besides, if you stop worrying that you lost THIS love of your life, maybe you'll get out of the house and find the one that the title all had us curious about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth - This post was not about dwelling on work or waking up early for it. I do embrace the weekend that I have, I just wish I could sleep in once in a while.

    Bob - you know golf has been my motivation. I even posted about my Golf Fever back in October.

    I'm glad this post has got some response, but it was more that I had nothing to do this morning when I did woke up early. I made the title misleading on purpose to spark some curiosity, which it did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the real world my son

    ReplyDelete
  5. And what time does your day actually start and end?

    ReplyDelete